2008 Results


Outright Winner: Lynton Stretton

Stage Winners

Day 1
Lawrence Reece 4h 37m 78k
Day 1
Lynton Stretton 2h 52m 49k
Day 2
Roman Petr 5h 41m 80k
Day 2
Lynton Stretton 3h 25m 49k
Day 3
Lynton Stretton 5h 14m 79k
Day 3
Heinz von Holzen 2h 24m 49k
Day 4
Lynton Stretton + Warren Quinn 5h 57m 79k
Day 4
Warren Quinn 3h 19m 51k
Day 5
Roman Petr 3h 01m 78k

Overall Results

Place Rider No Name Total Time Total Dist. %age
1 14 Stretton, Lynton  (U60) 40.57 556.0 93.9%
2 7 Quinn, Warren  (U50) 42.26 564.0 95.3%
3 2 von Holzen, Heinz  (U50) 44.04 550.0 92.9%
4 3 Petr, Roman (U50) 48.04 479.0 80.9%
5 13 Bird, William  (U40) 52.32 455.0 76.9%
6 4 Chandler , Kane  (U40) 54.12 453.0 76.5%
7 6 Smith, Vance  (U40) 55.29 435.0 73.5%
8 16 Moojen, Freddy  (U50) 65.43 297.5 50.3%
9 12 Chapman, Wayne  (U50) 76.35 193.0 32.6%
10 9 Reece , Lawrence  (U60) DNF 201.0 34.0%
11 15 Whitehead, Ron  (U40) DNF 147.0 24.8%
12 10 Reece , Emerson  (U20) DNF 138.0 23.3%

Age group winners

  • Under 60: Lynton Stretton
  • Under 50: Warren Quinn
  • Under 40: William Bird

Heslin Trophy – Awarded to Kane, Vance & Wayne for abandoning the stage to stay with Freddy when he injured his leg.

Bean Attitude Award – Not a dry eye in the house when Kane Chandler was presented with the Bean Attitude Award for helping Wayne across the line on the last stage.

To download a printable copy of the 2008 stage results Click Here

Race Director

Race Director’s Report

IMG_0653The older guys once again leading the field in what was a tough year with hot dry northerly winds and wild sand storms blasting the field.

By the end of the fourth stage three riders had been forced to withdraw from the event and only two riders still in contention for the 100% prize: Lynton Stretton and Heinz von Holzen.

The desert turned on a brutal seventh stage, dishing up strong northerly head winds, lashing the riders with sand and dust. Warren Quinn was the only rider able to back up and complete the afternoon (eighth) stage.

With no-one still in 100% contention, the riders showed great determination and camaraderie as they banded together pushing each other on, until they all completed the final stage into Birdsville.

I would like to congratulate all of the riders on an excellent effort in a year that could only be described as brutal. To their crews who supported them; well done.

Many thanks to the Officials who donate there time year after year to supporting this event. We couldn’t do it without you.

Special Thanks to Dr Mal and Donna for helping with the setup and running of the race.

Thanks to everyone for being so positive, polite and patient making this year’s event, one of the best.

And finally; thanks to the committed members of the Desert Challenge Committee for the countless hours of work organising the event throughout the year.

Mark Polley

Race Director 2008

Stage by Stage

Links to other info about the 2008 race: ABC Race Report (Alice Springs)

2008 Race Report

DSC_8128Another year has come and gone. This year’s event was one of the tougher ones with the desert testing riders, crews and vehicles alike.
As we headed from Dalhousie Springs to Purni Bore we were buffeted by strong winds and flying sand. Ominous signs of things to come.
With all riders, crews and officials safely at the starting line by 3pm it was time for the 2008 Simpson Desert Bike Challenge to get underway. The briefing commenced at 4:30pm with introductions of the officials and riders. Heinz (from Bali) and Ron (from QLD) returning this year to have another go. Both were ready and raring to go along with ten new participants.

Day 1

Temperature 36’C

Stage 1, 77.5km

SDBC 2008_0377With little knowledge of what is ahead of them, the riders and crews were up early on the first morning. A combination of fear and anticipation descending on all those present. The lead convoy headed out at 5:30am leaving nervous riders to wait on the start line.
With the race underway, the enormity of the task ahead dawns on the riders in the first 10km. Wayne is swept by the 15km and Freddy punctured two tyres in the first 20km and was swept by the 25km mark. Lawrence finishes strongly with Lynton and Roman in close pursuit.
A beeping from HF radio in Race Directors car is heard. I investigate, seeing the message “Low battery” on the handset. My co-driver has left the lights on flatting the battery. Sounds like “Goose of the Day” material to me.
Stage 2, 49.5km

Riders find the afternoon stage a little easier but are feeling the strain of the morning stage. Lynton finishes first with Lawrence one minute behind.

Day 2

Temperature 39’C

Stage 3, 80km

The third stage started with and easy ride along a flatter section but about 10km in the sand and corrugations start. Between the 50km and 60km mark, there is light to medium sand on the track which took its toll on all riders. The temperature was on the rise, hitting 39’C as the wind picked up.
The 3rd stage, typically the hardest, saw all riders start but only four: Roman, Lynton, Heinz and William complete the 80km section. Ron aggravated an existing injury, dislocating his shoulder whilst trying to negotiate the sand. Lawrence and Emerson withdraw from the event suffering from heat exhaustion.

Stage 4, 49km

DSC_9088The afternoon stage presented large dunes with deep sand between 39 and 45km. Snatch straps were dragged out as vehicles sank, getting bogged on several of the dunes.
The riders struggled with only 3 finishing the stage. The remainder of the field was swept before the 24km mark.
Mike (crew No.2) battled on as his vehicle protested vigorously. The dual battery relay system locked out at Dalhousie Springs leaving the fridge without power. Once bypassed, the fridge refused to cool down in the heat as his water containers developed leaks.

Day 3

Temperature 41’C

Stage 5, 79km

IMG_0727With soft sand drifts over the track for the first 25km and dunes with 1 to 2 meter vertical walls of sand between the 48 and 60km, it was going to be an interesting stage for riders and drivers alike.
Lynton was horrified when he realised that he had left camel back behind and had to rely on the water bottles on his bike. Freddy came off the bike in the sand hurting his calve muscle. Three of the riders (Kane, Vance & Wayne) staying with him until the sweep and medical crew arrived.

Stage 6, 48km
Starting with a 35km run between the dunes into a strong head wind, four riders pulled out at 6km and two at 15km leaving only three on the track. Heinz, Warren and Lynton push on to finish the stage.
At this point only Lynton and Heinz have completed 100% on the course.
William battling the dunes on Day 3

Comments from the Peanut Gallery

Of course, nowhere near as tough as when I did it. 1990 featured swooping pterodactyls, water that boiled as you drank it and wind in excess of 400 km/h.  Luuuuuuxury!!
Did I mention I am from Parkes too? Breaker Morandt country!!
Greg Roger, triumphant winner of under 30 category, 1990!!
See 1990 Race Report

Day 4

Temperature 44’C. Strong northerly winds.

Stage 7, 79km

Lynton & Warren at end of the brutal Stage 7 (Day 4)

Lynton & Warren at end of the brutal Stage 7 (Day 4)

With large drifts of sand on the track for the first 12km riders struggle to get a good start. After the grid, conditions improved with some corrugations and light sand on the clay pan out to the Birdsville track. Strong cross winds on the Birdsville track for 24km then head winds gusting up to 40 knots on the inside track left most struggling on day four morning.

As the temperature rose and winds increased water stop two was deployed to set up a forth emergency water stop 5.5km from the end of the stage. An exhausted band of four riders, Warren and Lynton (riding together), Heinz and Kane finish the stage in a slow time.

Stage 8, 51km

Track conditions were good and on a normal year, the times should have been fast but the desert wasn’t finished delivering a punishing eighth stage. Head winds continue to buffet the riders as they set off after lunch. By the 15km mark there was only one rider left on the track. Riders electing to take cover under whatever shade that was available along the side of the track.

P1030863Sitting at the finishing line, we were stunned when the rear convoy started to arrive about one hour prior to the close of the stage. Fearing the worst, that “Bastard Sweep” had swept the entire field, I was relieved to learn that there was still one rider on the track. Warren had refused to lie down and battled on to complete the stage.

Much to my shame, I was suddenly the first race director to preside over a race where no-one completed 100% of the race. Sweep (Andy Griffiths) taking great pleasure in present me with the sickle at the evening briefing.
After the briefing, Dillon (medic crew) treated us to an evening of classical guitar accompanied by a spectacular light show as an electrical storm swirled around us.
Mike’s (crew No.2) battles continued as the Air Con failed, the shade tarp collapsed and various containers of food broke spreading throughout the food bins.

Day 5

Temperature 41’C

Stage 9, 79km

IMG_4269The final stage to Birdsville. The track was flat and fast and the wind finally abated.
Roman found a new lease of life and bolted through to the finish line in 3 hours. Freddy, who struggled all week, blasts in second with Lynton and Warren in pursuit.
Kane, Vance, William and Heinz elect to stay back with Wayne to see if they can get him across the line to complete the last stage. In true desert style we start to hear reports of Kane riding along pushing Wayne with the others there providing moral support. Finally an exhausted Wayne finishes his first stage almost collapsing on the finish line. Truly inspirational stuff!

Fund Raising

To date, through donations, the auction and Photo CD sales, the event has raised a total of $3,217.00 for the Royal Flying Doctor Service. Congratulations everyone.


Comments are closed.